My UPSC Interview Experience ( All India Rank 14)

Few years back I had an extraordinary opportunity to attend the so-called sacred and tough UPSC Interview board after clearing the gruelling written exam. Since I was pretty excited about it and hence planned it well also. I booked a good hotel in the vicinity of UPSC and checked in to it a day before to settle in there. Since I was in job and had nobody to guide me, my plannings and preparations were all mine and since it made me successful I now think yes they were right. 

I got up early that day had morning ablutions and got ready in ultra formal attire ! Light blue shirt and dark color trousers and a matching tie. I was looking as if I am heading towards my meeting as I usually do when in BHEL but this time it was something different- that was my rendezvous with UPSC ! 

I reached the venue quite early to see many veterans ( multiple timers) discussing what was asked last year and what mistakes they committed and how they were screwed. I had no idea as I never ever gave it a thought and that too I was busy with my cushy job. Many of them were referring to their notes as if it was their viva voce exam. I separated myself from the junta had a cup of coffee and headed towards the main entrance. We were adviced to deposit our cell phones, ball pens, wallet everything as a security measure. 

We then entered a big hall and made to site in groups of 7 on a round table and a babu came with an indifferent mood and gave us few forms to be filled and collected our original mark sheets. He was working as if he had applied for a leave that day and couldn't get it because of us and hence he was looking angry with us. While filling the form I just glanced around to have a look and discovered that engineering students of our country are quite serious- they were like reading their notes, referring to latest news and were fidgety as if they are going to be ragged inside. May be , May be not- I thought and continued with what I was doing. 

Moments after doc verification we were told about our boards-I was in Manbir Singh's Board. Again some veteran confirmed me that he is usually cool . I sipped a glass of water while looking at the UPSC building-very nicely maintained. I was eagerly waiting for my turn and after an hour I got my turn and I was asked to move and sit outside the Manbir's office while tea was served to board members-it was 3 PM then. I thought I got ready at 8 AM and still waiting to have my drama unfold as to why I chose IES after working so long in a Maharatna PSU to join something at half the salary. I was worried for this question only..with this thought I entered the room- What a room, age old office, high elevation ceiling, Chairperson sitting precisely at the centre of the semicircular arch of the board members and I was supposed to traverse a straight line to sit on my chair placed precisely at the centre. Meanwhile I also observed that there were 4 other members sitting equally divided on both sides of the Manbir Singh. 

I was oozing with confidence but with a thought of as to why I left BHEL,I walked upto my chair and wished all of them and I was watching 3 of the other members observing me as to how I am walking the ramp ! 

As soon as I settled I observed Manbir Singh was sitting slightly higher elevation than other 4 members may be to have birds eye view ..he he..

Let us call members as M1, M2 on left , C as Manbir , M3 ,M4 on right, sitting in a perfect semi circular arch.

C: So Mr Pandey, you are making a great sacrifice-leaving BHEL after such a long time why ?
Me: I defended with my usual thoughts

C: So you think this is nice job ..
Me: Defended diplomatically -he was looking happy and satisfied.

C: What is the scenario of our Power Sector ?
Me: PhD in it and explained him completely

C: So you are in favor of Hydro Power ?
Me: Defended and explained in a balanced manner.

C: How is BHEL doing and how you rate it ?
Me: 9/10 and its doing extremely good. 

C: Then why are you leaving it ?
Me: Defended with my reasons.

He indicated other members to continue by looking at members at his left..
M4: What was your profile and what were you doing there ?

M3: Okay you have experience of Production also, how do you cut thick plates, what is that machine called ?
M3 & M4 -continue with many production related questions and BHEL infra

M2: Can you tell something about NC Programming and its coding ?

M1: Why do you think BHEL is not able to complete its orders in time ?
Had long discussion on it.

M2: What do you think India should do to have electricity for all and what is NEP ?

M4: Tell me about -Project Plannning -PERT & CPM

C: Why you want to join IRSS ( my first choice)

then questions on Industrial Engineering

After about 40 minutes C indicated that we are done with our process, I said thanks to all and moved out  and took a big breath ! 

I think it was a good experience -it was a discussion to asses you a person. Ability to handle pressure, ability to answer smartly and to judge your ability to stay clam by posing a cool body language. 

I got selected in UPSC-IES 2012 with All India Rank :14



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty of Mechanical Engineering

ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

NanoComposites in Tennis Balls