My UPSC Engineering Services (IES) Interview

More than a year back I had an extraordinary opportunity to attend the so-called sacred and tough UPSC Interview board after clearing the gruelling written exam (in Gen Category- its always gruesome) . Since I was pretty excited about it and hence planned it well also. I booked a good hotel in the vicinity of UPSC and checked in to it a day before to settle in there. Since I was in job and had nobody to guide me, my plannings and preparations were all mine and since it made me successful I now think yes they were right. 

I got up early that day had morning ablutions and got ready in ultra formal attire ! Light blue shirt and dark color trousers and a matching tie. I was looking as if I am heading towards my meeting as I usually do when in BHEL but this time it was something different- that was my rendezvous with UPSC ! 

I reached the venue quite early to see many veterans ( multiple timers) discussing what was asked last year and what mistakes they committed and how they were screwed. I had no idea as I never ever gave it a thought and that too I was busy with my cushy job. Many of them were referring to their notes as if it was their viva voce exam. I separated myself from the junta had a cup of coffee and headed towards the main entrance. We were adviced to deposit our cell phones, ball pens, wallet everything as a security measure. 

We then entered a big hall and made to site in groups of 7 on a round table and a babu came with an indifferent mood and gave us few forms to be filled and collected our original mark sheets. He was working as if he had applied for a leave that day and couldn't get it because of us and hence he was looking angry with us. While filling the form I just glanced around to have a look and discovered that engineering students of our country are quite serious- they were like reading their notes, referring to latest news and were fidgety as if they are going to be ragged inside. May be , May be not- I thought and continued with what I was doing. 

Moments after doc verification we were told about our boards-I was in Manbir Singh's Board. Again some veteran confirmed me that he is usually cool . I sipped a glass of water while looking at the UPSC building-very nicely maintained. I was eagerly waiting for my turn and after an hour I got my turn and I was asked to move and sit outside the Manbir's office while tea was served to board members-it was 3 PM then. I thought I got ready at 8 AM and still waiting to have my drama unfold as to why I chose IES after working so long in a Maharatna PSU to join something at half the salary. I was worried for this question only..with this thought I entered the room- What a room, age old office, high elevation ceiling, Chairperson sitting precisely at the centre of the semicircular arch of the board members and I was supposed to traverse a straight line to sit on my chair placed precisely at the centre. Meanwhile I also observed that there were 4 other members sitting equally divided on both sides of the Manbir Singh. 

I was oozing with confidence but with a thought of as to why I left BHEL,I walked upto my chair and wished all of them and I was watching 3 of the other members observing me as to how I am walking the ramp ! 

As soon as I settled I observed Manbir Singh was sitting slightly higher elevation than other 4 members may be to have birds eye view ..he he..

Let us call members as M1, M2 on left , C as Manbir , M3 ,M4 on right, sitting in a perfect semi circular arch.

C: So Mr Pandey, you are making a great sacrifice-leaving BHEL after such a long time why ?
Me: I defended with my usual thoughts

C: So you think this is nice job ..
Me: Defended diplomatically -he was looking happy and satisfied.

C: What is the scenario of our Power Sector ?
Me: PhD in it and explained him completely

C: So you are in favor of Hydro Power ?
Me: Defended and explained in a balanced manner.

C: How is BHEL doing and how you rate it ?
Me: 9/10 and its doing extremely good. 

C: Then why are you leaving it ?
Me: Defended with my reasons.

He indicated other members to continue by looking at members at his left..
M4: What was your profile and what were you doing there ?

M3: Okay you have experience of Production also, how do you cut thick plates, what is that machine called ?
M3 & M4 -continue with many production related questions and BHEL infra

M2: Can you tell something about NC Programming and its coding ?

M1: Why do you think BHEL is not able to complete its orders in time ?
Had long discussion on it.

M2: What do you think India should do to have electricity for all and what is NEP ?

M4: Tell me about -Project Plannning -PERT & CPM

C: Why you want to join IRSS ( my first choice)

then questions on Industrial Engineering

After about 40 minutes C indicated that we are done with our process, I said thanks to all and moved out  and took a big breath ! 

I think it was a good experience -it was a discussion to asses you a person. Ability to handle pressure, ability to answer smartly and to judge your ability to stay clam by posing a cool body language. 

I got selected in UPSC-IES 2012 with All India Rank :14



Comments

earnest y said…
Thanks for sharing your experience... IES exam is not easy to crack it you need to put a lot of efforts in your preparation time that can lead you to get a good score and clear the exam.
IES Coaching Centers in Chennai
Gate Coaching In Chennai
IES Coaching in Chennai

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty of Mechanical Engineering

ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

NanoComposites in Tennis Balls